Date:      Wed, 26 Apr 2000 12:13:56 +0100
From:      "Paul Richards.width" <paul@originative.co.uk>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org, Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>, Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Committers <cvs-committers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: How about building modules along with the kernel? (was: cvs commit:  src/sys/modules/syscons/fire fire_saver.c src/sys/modules/syscons/rain  rain_saver.c src/sys/modules/syscons/warp warp_saver.c)

Greg Lehey wrote:

> On Tuesday, 25 April 2000 at 23:40:16 -0700, David O'Brien wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 25, 2000 at 11:48:27PM -0400, Chuck Robey wrote:
> >> Tell you what.  Let the discussion carry on.  If there's no movement by
> >> Friday, I'll stick the offer back up.  I just want to insure that it
> >> doesn't die (again) by being stuck onto a proposal for too grand a design.
> >
> > The discussion should be moved to freebsd-arch then.
> >
> > FOLLOWS UP DIRECTED THERE.  PLEASE *REMOVE* cvs-all & cvs-committers from
> > this thread.
>
> In theory, that's all well and good.  But look what wc -l tells me:
>
>      679 cvs-all
>     1739 freebsd-current
>      481 freebsd-arch
>
> cvs-all doesn't appear to be a real mailing list, be we all know that
> there are about 200 people there.  That means nearly 900 people on the
> (mutually exclusive) cvs lists, at least another 800 over in -current,
> less than 500 in -arch.  You can't force a committer to join -arch,
> which is why I still prefer -committers.

But the reason that not all committers join arch is because not all
committers are "arch" hackers. The committers list includes ports people
and docs people. The -arch list is the correct place for this discussion
and the sort of people interested in it will be over there.

There used to be (still is but everyone ignores it) a policy that
discussions should not take place on any committers lists because they
are for the notification of commits and nothing more. There are a myriad
other lists for holding technical discussions.

Paul.