Date:      Wed, 28 Feb 1996 03:44:51 +0200 (EET)
From:      Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
To:        Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
Cc:        "'Christoph Kukulies'" <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>, "'invalid opcode'" <coredump@nervosa.com>, "'hackers@FreeBSD.ORG'" <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Win32 (was:Re: Go SCSI! Big improvement...)

On Tue, 27 Feb 1996, Jake Hamby wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Feb 1996, Narvi wrote:
> >
> > I don't think making a X aware Texinfo would be that hard....
>
> Yeah, it's called GNU Emacs..  :-)  But you're missing the point:  How do
> you call it from WITHIN your application in a way that makes sense?
>
> > Display Postscript Extension? As far as I remember it's not the Server
> > but hardware - you pass Postscript commands directly to the graphics
> > card... Were there such things widely available for the PCs, XFree86 would
> > support them, I'm pretty sure.
>
> Bzzzt!  Wrong..  As far as I know, there ARE no video cards that support
> Postscript commands directly, even for workstations.  Suns and other
> commercial Unixes which use the DPS extension, take the Postscript
> commands and render them to the screen using normal methods.  Now there's
> nothing to stop somebody from making a Postscript clone (Ghostscript?) X
> server extension, or even licensing DPS for a commercial X server for
> FreeBSD, but don't be mistakenly thinking that there's some magic
> workstation hardware that makes it possible!

I don't know - and it's overly too late for me on the moment to try to
look up something for sure. Yes, I know about the DPS extension to the X
- actually, for quite some time already. And I don't believe in magic
hardware, no matter what it is claimed to do. But I'm pretty sure about
DPS accelerators - it's something I have seen for sure. Not convinced?

I know I cannot prove it on the moment but just give a thought to it - no
magic hardware is needed (CPU + RAM) much more easier to implement than
most of real high grade graphics hardware flying around...

> ---Jake

	Sander