Date:      Tue, 30 Nov 1999 11:57:27 +1000 (EST)
From:      MAX@one.com.au
Subject:   re: need help on AlphaStation 200 freebsd installation

Firstly, I just want to apologise of the multiple list. It was a mistake after
I have posted out my mail.

Mike Smith wrote:

>> I have a Digital Alpha200 station planned to be install with FREEBSD OS.
>> Firstly I am having the trouble of booting up at the main console, I used
the
>> kern.flp and mfsroot.flp to boot up to begin the installation. Right after
it> > boot up with the prompt of terminal selection where you have 4 choices,
my >> keyboard give no response to the machine. Wonder why?

>Because you have the SRM 'console' variable set incorrectly, and FreeBSD
>believes that you are using a serial terminal.  The SRM knows how to
>probe for a keyboard, but doesn't correctly export the terminal
>interface.  Thus, you must set 'console' to either 'graphics' or 'serial'.

I have tried to set my console to both either 'graphics' or 'serial'.
And each setting i redo the whole installation process. But it came no changes
with those settings.

Finally, I got it fully install from the serial terminal without any error
occur. But to my surprise, when I boot it up again, I cant get into the main
console.

here's my error

Initial rc.alpha initialization:.
rc.alpha configuring syscons: blank_time/etc/rc.alpha: cannot open /dev/ttyv0 :
no such device or address
mousedmoused: cannot open /dev/consolectl: Device not configure
/etc/rc.alpha: cannot open /dev/ttyv0: no such device or address

Local package initialization
Tue Nov 30 11:39:54 EST 1999

This is where it stops. But can I get the serial terminal up with a login
prompt.

This is my /etc/ttys file

console none                            unknown off secure
#
ttyv0   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  on  secure
# Virtual terminals
ttyv1   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  on  secure
ttyv2   "/usr/libexec/getty Pc"         cons25  on  secure
ttyv3   "/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -nodaemon"  xterm   off secure
# Serial terminals
# The 'dialup' keyword identifies dialin lines to login, fingerd etc.
ttyd0   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   vt220   on secure
ttyd1   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   vt220   on secure
ttyd2   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   dialup  off secure
ttyd3   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   dialup  off secure

And I do have files the devices required

pfa# ll /dev/ttyv*
crw-------  1 root  wheel   12,   0 Nov 30 21:16 /dev/ttyv0
crw-------  1 root  wheel   12,   1 Nov 30 21:16 /dev/ttyv1
crw-------  1 root  wheel   12,   2 Nov 30 21:16 /dev/ttyv2
crw-------  1 root  wheel   12,   3 Nov 30 21:16 /dev/ttyv3

pfa# ll /dev/ttyd*
crw-------  1 root  tty     28,   0 Nov 30 11:55 /dev/ttyd0
crw-------  1 root  wheel   28,   1 Nov 30 21:16 /dev/ttyd1
crw-------  1 root  wheel   28,   2 Nov 30 21:16 /dev/ttyd2
crw-------  1 root  wheel   28,   3 Nov 30 21:16 /dev/ttyd3

Just wondering why I still cant get a login from my main console.
I have check the process, the getty is not in the process.

Thanks