Date:      Fri, 12 May 1995 10:44:19 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        seki@sysrap.cs.fujitsu.co.jp (Masahiro SEKIGUCHI)
Cc:        FreeBSD-Hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Questions/comments on ed driver

> I examined the ed driver (of 950412 SNAP.)  I found some (essentially
> 2) strangeness in it.  I'm not sure I found bugs or just
> misunderstood.
>
> It is appreciated if you hackers give me comments.
>
> 1.  If_ed.c defines ETHER_MAX be 1518 and ETHER_MIN 64.  The length
> includes 4 bytes for CRC.  However, it looks like the program compares
> them against packet lengths *without* CRC.

Probably a bug, David will have to decide that.

> 2.  When put into 16 bit operation (isa16bit is on), if_ed.c turns the
> interface in 16 bit mode just before data transfer, and then back in 8
> bit mode everytime.  The comment says it makes DOS reboot process
> happy, but, if so, why cannot the back-in-8-bit process be done only
> in kdc_shutdown() hook?

What happens if you panic while the system is running and the board is
in 16 bit mode?  The system would fail to reboot :-(.

The problem is that on some machines, if you leave the board in 16-bit
mode, will hang during the BIOS boot.  I think the comment should be
correted to say that, or both BIOS/DOS.

This one is not a bug.