Date:      Wed, 07 Jan 1998 08:32:14 -0300
From:      Capriotti <capriotti@geocities.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X based Free installation

At 11:40 AM 1/6/98 -0800, you wrote:

Hey, Tom. I apologize for the misunderstanding I caused. Allow me to explain:

>  How would a graphically install help?  I don't think it would in the
>examples you've given.  If the CDROM can't be accessed, why would a
>graphical install indicate why, and a non-graphical install not?  Why
>would concepts (info and language) displayed in a graphical dialog box be
>lessing confusing if those concepts where displayed in a non-graphical
>one?

I was thinking of a way to make Free more attractive for other kind of
users; As I mentioned before, my goal os making FBSD so attractive - and
easy - to install/use that even a secretary could do it.

Actualy user buy things that are "neat". A graphical interface would make
things look beautiful. Placebo effect, I know, but it would help "spreading
the word".

Of course a GUI has nothing to do with ease to install or the CD ROM
working properly. I was just sharing a couple of my experiences in the
installation field.

>> Today's instasllation (2.2.1) is a bit better, more user friendly, but I
>
>  Todays installation?  2.2.1 is ancient.  Two releases have been made
>since.

I was just mentioning that 2.2.1 was the one I was talking about; And,
Installation of 2.1 and 2.2.1 are not that different, so I thought that it
wouldn't have changed that much on newer versions. But I see it did, I am
glad to learn about it.

But there's something I didn't understand:

OK. We wouldn't be able to make one single installation disk (floppy) for
FBSD using the X interface. But what if the CD ROM installation ? Can't it
be done ?

I am not THAT familiar with the processes, so I can't see the difficulty,
but, if you get the kernel up and running, and if you have the files on the
cd, why whould it be so difficult to put X running too ?

I mentioned X, but it culd be a X looking GUI, just to make things LOOK
nice. It seems silly, but can make the difference when one is choosing the
working platform.