Date:      Fri, 17 Sep 1999 16:23:03 -0500
From:      Barry Pederson <bpederson@geocities.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 3.3-R: passwd dependencies

Valentin Nechayev wrote:

> /usr/bin/passwd from bin packages of 3.3-RELEASE wants libraries:
>         libkadm.so.3
>         libkrb.so.3
>         libdes.so.3
>
> Is it correct? ;(

Could be..I've been having problems with that too.  Downloaded the
3.3-Release (gzipped) ISO Image last night, and even on a minimum
install, the part where you are supposed to set the root password just
blows by, but when you create an additional user, everything works ok.

When the system boots up for the first time, root has no passwd, and the
passwd command gives an error saying either libkadm or libkrb as
mentioned above is missing.   Logging in as the additional user created
at startup works fine, but when you try to do a "su", you get an error
saying libkadm or libkrb is missing (passwd bitches about one of them,
su the other, I don't recall offhand which is which).

Something is definitely goofed there, or the install lets you setup a
goofed system.

	Barry