Date:      Wed, 28 Jun 1995 15:55:05 -0400 (EDT)
From:      jan@bagend.atl.ga.us (Jan Isley)
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: update on keyboard lockup with SNAP

J Wunsch wrote:
> As Jan Isley wrote:
> > I built a new kernel with pcvt instead of sc0, installed it, read
> > the man pages, etc...  do you *really* have to type scon -cN to
> > change screens with pcvt?  ALT-FN did *other* things. :)  By The

I noticed "Bad bad sector table" being printed as the first line of
the boot up sequence and I do not recall seeing that before, and Rod
asked me to reseat things.  So I took boards out, put them back in,
did a low level format, reinstalled a 250 MB DOS partition and then
installed SNAP on the 750+ MB left.  The message is still there. ?
dmesg does not print it after the system is running.  Time for
another doc hunting trip. :)

I built a new kernel using sc0 and sure enough the keyboard will
freeze, not even a ctl-ald-del or num-lock/caps-lock light toggle
if you change screens one to many times.  Is no one else seeing
this?  I will try banging on a pcvt kernel tonight.

> Err, Ctrl-Alt-F<n>, consistently with XFree86.  (There's also F9
> through F12 for the first four screens, and Alt-F12 for cycling
> through the screens.)
>
> Hmm, i should have pointed you to the documentation in
> /usr/src/usr.sbin/pcvt/Misc.  My fault.

Ah, well getting anything requires going through several systems
and slow modems just to get here, so I had only been getting the
ssys.src anyway.  I am very new to BSD, but I thought that was
what man pages and /usr/share was for.  ;-)  Oh well, I have been
wrong 14 times already today, a few dozen more won't hurt me. :-)

> > typing esc-k-return (with bash set -ao vi that is) switching  between
> > four screens until my fingers cramped... came back later and did it
> > another thousand times... it did not lock up with pcvt.  I will try
> > again later.
>
> Well, you `vi' fans out there.  Wouldn't have it been better to
> temporarily ``set -o emacs'' and simly hit the up arrow key? :-}

Sure, if I had thought of it. :-(  I *prefer* vi editing modes
because I learned vi first.  At this point, I think it would take
me a few decades to learn to like emacs.

> Seems like a problem of the kbd driver in syscons... Sxren???

It seems that way to me.  I have noticed other threads going here
about systems hanging up... makes me wonder if they are not having
the same problem and have not noticed that it is the same.
--
Jan Isley <jan@bagend.atl.ga.us>
If you couldn't find any weirdness, maybe we'll just have to make some!