Date:      Wed, 28 Feb 1996 08:36:10 +0530
From:      A JOSEPH KOSHY <koshy@india.hp.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, kelly@yarmouth.edu, kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de, narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Win32 (was:Re: Go SCSI! Big improvement...)

tl> jk> * SCO had a product called Visual Tcl which they used for system admin

tl> I'd suggest wksh instead.  There is now a book on it, and sample

Thanks for bringing this up: WKSH had slipped my mind.

Between Tk and WKSH I personally prefer Tk because:

(a) the WKSH language has become complex to the point of being baroque;
    (the ability to define/use "C" structures and pointers, to make calls to
    Xlib/Xt Intrinsics as part of the language is case in point).
    This would mean a resource hungry interpreter, not to mention
    requiring Xt.

    Tcl/Tk is much smaller in comparision but gives almost all the
    functionality and in some cases (the canvas widget for example)
    provides superior functionality.

(b) Tcl/Tk are easier to embed into applications; the same cannot be said of
    WKSH.

(c) And, very important, Tk is free while WKSH is not.  This means that
    improvements to it are easier to make and its technical quality is likely
    to improve faster than proprietary products.

That said, I note that DTKSH (nee' WKSH) IS part of CDE and thus is part of
some kind of `standard' whereas Tcl/Tk is not.

Koshy