Date:      Thu, 15 Aug 1996 00:08:31 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com (Thomas David Rivers)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.freebsd.org, lakes!rivers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Recap of sio weirdness, where to go from here...

Thomas David Rivers stands accused of saying:

>  OK - I'm staring at the part number now... it's a PC16550CN (not DN) -
> I've had it in service now for almost 5 years...  Looks like it's
> the "real thing".

I believe the C revision parts are OK.  Unless anyone can come forward and
offer contradicting advice then it looks like you are either losing
serial interrupts, or are tickling a bug somewhere in the sio driver or
tty stack.

So much for the easy answer 8)

>   Nope - sounds like a good idea... "lptest"?  Are you suggesting that
> as just something that can generate some data... I usually just
> cat /etc/passwd :-)    I don't have a loopback cable lying around,
> I'll run out and buy one today.

/etc/passwd isn't big enough.  'lptest' is good at generating lots of
data with an easily visible pattern.  You might not see one character
dropped from your password file, but it stands out like a sore thumb
in the lptest output.