Date:      Thu, 18 Jun 1998 06:43:38 -0700
From:      Tim Gerchmez <fewtch@serv.net>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Major hardware reorganization...

OK...

I've completely reorganized my hardware.  I've consolidated both 2 gig
drives into my main PC and decided to lose the Ethernet and the 2nd PC
entirely.  Amazing how it's speeded up my PC not having all those extra
network protocols hanging around and being burdened by old 3c503 network
cards.  So anyway, FreeBSD is now on my main machine with a modem, and
after a bit of fooling around, I now have the ppp command working using ppp
-background on-demand dialing.  Works like a charm, but took some research
(as everything new you do in FreeBSD does).  So perhaps I will begin using
W95 less and BSD/Xfree86 more now... or perhaps I won't, depends :-)  I go
through software and OS phases, and this is a triple boot machine - I have
Win95, NT workstation and FreeBSD installed on it.  We'll see which I
gravitate toward.  So far, Win95 is the only OS that supports all my
hardware, and for certain operations is the fastest (it definitely boots
the quickest of the 3 OS's, BSD second, Win NT third).  As far as hardware
support goes, Win95 wins by a mile, NT is second, and FreeBSD a distant
third.  As far as multitasking power and stability go though, there's no
question as to which of the three wins... I'll bet you can all guess which
OS that is.. :-)

--
My web site starts at http://www.serv.net/~fewtch/index.html -
lots of goodies for everyone, have a look if you have the time.