Date:      Mon, 18 Nov 1996 10:30:55 -0800
From:      Don Lewis <Don.Lewis@tsc.tdk.com>
To:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org, security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BoS: Exploit for sendmail smtpd bug (ver. 8.7-8.8.2).

On Nov 18,  8:17pm, Mark Murray wrote:
}
} Much easier is to put the users onto a volume that is mounted -noexec.
} This works for compiled binaries, not scripts.

Users, what users?  Oh, I'm definitely doing the -noexec thing on anything
that's writable, and -rdonly on anything that has executables.  Not
to mention nosuid and nodev as appropriate.

Since I'm removing most of the binaries, I'm not too worried about scripts,
even assuming they could get executed in spite of my other measures.  There's
only so much that you can do with cat and echo ;-)

			---  Truck