Date:      Thu, 1 Nov 2001 21:00:36 -0600
From:      Chris <cjackson@class.com>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NatWest? no thanks

On Thu, Nov 01, 2001 at 08:35:26PM -0600, Mike Meyer wrote:

> That isn't clear for two reasons.
>
> #1) It has as yet to be established that the ADA applies to commercial
>     web sites. It *does* apply to all web sites run with public funds.
>     As I noted elsewhere, the argument hinges on whether or not a web site
>     is a "public place of business" as defined by the act.
>
> #2) MSIE has a whole slew of accessibility options. If those are
>     sufficient to allow all disabled people to access the web site,
>     then they satisfy the act.
>
> 	<mike
> --
> Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>			http://www.mired.org/home/mwm/
> Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.

I think that this will be addressed in the near future, and will
require commercial sites to comply with ADA. Consider that restaurants
are required to be in compliance, and they aren't the recipient of any
government disbursed funds... Either ADA will be modified to mollify
its opponents, or websites will start being targeted for
non-compliance more frequently.

--
Chris Jackson
Network Administrator