Date:      Tue, 3 Nov 1998 19:15:01 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        danderse@cs.utah.edu (David G Andersen)
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, delaroca@ucla.edu
Subject:   Re: CS 4235 (AOpen 3D Sound card) support

> I'm curious about the status of support for the CS4235 (as found in the
> AOpen 3D Sound Card, a fairly generic MSS sound card).  In testing them
> under 3.0, I've found that audio playback works like a charm, but we're

not having one i cannot test it -- i have a 4236 and a 4237 and both
work for me with vat (the one in -stable or 2.2.7 -- i am not sure if
the vat port for 3.0 has the right patches).

> encountering some problems with audio recording from /dev/audio.
> Recording from /dev/dsp works perfectly.

also strange, since the only difference is in setting the data format.

can you try the following

	cat /dev/dsp1 > /dev/dsp1
	cat /dev/dspW1 > /dev/dspW1
	cat /dev/audio1 > /dev/audio1

and see which one works.

Actually I found some chipsets (e.g. opti931) where there is apparently
a bug (either in the chip or in the driver, but i suspect the former)
and you cannot select a compressed mode (ULAW) on both play&rec;
because the MSS driver defaults to use the same mode for play&rec even
if you use half duples, this might cause problems.
However the 4236 and 4237 work perfectly fine.

	cheers
	luigi