Date:      Mon, 29 Jun 1998 17:48:50 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        pirat sriyotha <pirat@oaep.go.th>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: questions

On Mon, Jun 29, 1998 at 01:50:51PM +0700, pirat sriyotha wrote:
> hi,
>
> i've subscribed to questions. oh what a huge amount of q & a overthere !
> i get about 200 q & a per day.  some are usefull to me some are good to
> the question  maker.  i am overloaded with those q & a for the last two or
> three days.

You can ask freebsd-questions without subscribing. They are very happy to
answer questions from newbies, and they usually send you a copy of the
reply by email as well. It is the place for all support questions about
FreeBSD. The only place. We are all welcome there.

> well, i do not mean one can not ask some kind of wondering here. during
> discussion or talking, if one could not ask anything that were quite ... ,
> i do not know how to say,  apologize me sue.  but i suggest newbies to
> subscribe to question for a few days and make your own choice to ask a
> real question in newbies or in questions.

Perhaps I didn't explain clearly enough when you asked about it a couple
of times before, sorry. I'll give some more info here because others
might be interested too.

According to the information in the Handbook about mailing lists, there
are some requirements for people who wish to participate. For example,
support questions must go to freebsd-questions as set out in the list
charters, and matters relating to the FreeBSD Documentation Project go to
freebsd-doc, not to freebsd-ports which is for people porting software,
and so on.

The main requirement is that each list "charter", or description, be
followed. That means that you can only use a mailing list for its own
special purpose. This is all carefully set out at (currently)
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/handbook345.html
I recommend that everyone should read this page carefully. You will find
a short description of each list, and at the top is some information
about general behaviour for all FreeBSD mailing lists. The requirements
are very few, and very specific.

In the case of freebsd-newbies, we have a longer document that describes
the list. It is at http://www.welearn.com.au/freebsd/newbies/
It, too, spells out what this list is for and what it is not for, and
offers more advice. It is distributed via the list once a week.

In addition, when you subscribe to freebsd-newbies you are sent a short
automated note which explains the difference between freebsd-newbies
and freebsd-questions and provides the URLs where you can get the full
information.

There aren't very many rules, but when we use a mailing list we choose
to be governed by the list charters and the general list behaviour
guidelines. Their purpose is to help us all to achieve what we want to
achieve by understanding the best way to work together. Please take a
look, and you are welcome to ask here if there is anything you don't
understand about http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/handbook345.html

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-