Date:      Thu, 18 Jun 1998 08:37:33 -0700 (PDT)
From:      simon mendoza <simon_v_mendoza@yahoo.com>
To:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Pine and Pico

> Just imagine how wrong someone could get these words if they
> were interpreted according to everyday experience:
>
>       ARGUMENTS                 INVOCATION
>       reasons for or against    magic spell
>
>       DEFINITIONS               RESERVED WORDS
>       explain words simply      naughty words, e.g. for body functions
>
>       SHELL GRAMMAR             COMMENTS
>       asking nicely for petrol  opinions (see also reserved words)
>
>       QUOTING                   PARAMETERS
>       including original mail   range to keep within to meet budget
>
>       EXPANSION                 REDIRECTION
>       effect of too much pizza  go ask in -questions
>
>       ALIASES                   FUNCTIONS
>       email/IRC names           see reserved words
>
> These words gradually become associated with their new meanings by
> repeated proper use in the new context.

While reading this part of your message I remembered a very funny
situation I encountered while doing some technical support at the
company I work for: one user just gave me a call because his computer
had gone completlely mad and "it didn't know what its own resources
were for". Puzzled by the odd comentary I had to go in and check out
what the user was stating. Once I got there I find that the users
machine (in win95) had the control panel view and the system
administrator  opened. The user tried to explain that he was just
looking for some files and ended up there, and when he was trying to
reach for information, he pressed de rightest side button and the
computer answered back with a question: "What is this?" (This is a
feature of win 95 that gives you a small explanation of the device you
ar pointing at) and since he didn't go on pressing the button, he
panicked  since he thought his own computer didn't have a clue about
what its own components were. I just stepped out of the room (on the
excuse of going to the toillete) and laughed my lungs out.
  After some thougths about it I concluded that not all things can be
interpreted the way they look, because if  you get to feel them the
interpretation may be the opposite.

Greetings

Simon.