Date:      Wed, 14 Aug 1996 09:04:31 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com (Thomas David Rivers), sag.space.lockheed.com!handy@dg-rtp.dg.com, ponds!rivers@freefall.freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sio issues (silo overflows on a pentium, locked in ttywait, etc...)

> If this is bothering you, and you are completely up to date, then
> I or someone better qualified will be more than happy to help you
> chase down the problem.  If you aren't, come back when you've upgraded
> to 2.1.5 and are still having the same problem.

I'm using *stock* National 16550A UARTS on my 486/66, and when I
upgraded to 2.1.5 I started seeing them and I *NEVER* saw them before on
any previous release of FreeBSD.  These are not clones, these are actual
National parts bought a long time ago, and up till recently I never saw
any overflows with them.

Now, why I'm seeing this I don't know, but I think I remember Bruce
mentioning that there were changes made to the driver to actually do
better reporting, so in the past I may have had overflows but they
weren't reported.

What I did last night was change my trigger level on my UART from 14 ->
8, but I haven't tried out the new kernel to see if that helps.

> The fact that you're the only person seeing this makes me wonder whether
> you have funny serial hardware causing your problems.  Note that lots of
> PC serial hardware is _really_bad_, so this is actually fairly likely.

He's not the only one seeing it.  Lots of other folks see it as well,
but since it doesn't affect anything they ignore it like I do.  BTW, I'm
getting 11K/sec using modem compression on text files, and around
3.4K/sec on compressed files SLIP host<-> SLIP host, so I really don't
see the overflows affecting me much.  The funny thing is I don't see
overflows on the SLIP server box which is also running 16550A UARTS and
is running multiple sessions, but it's not running X and never touches
the hard disk.  (Basically it's the same hardware on both boxes, 486/66
with 16MB, although my box has an Adaptec 1542B and the server box is
IDE).

Nate