Date:      28 Oct 2002 20:44:23 -0700
From:      Joe Warner <rootman22@attbi.com>
To:        Derek Barrett <derekbarrett@graffiti.net>
Cc:        DavidJohnson@Siemens.com, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG, Linh Pham <question@daemonnews.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD vs Linux For Managers...

--=-aVOjYBn4g+AQx6w3/Zyc

On Mon, 2002-10-28 at 14:27, Derek Barrett wrote:
> This raises a good point. While I don't have an answer right
> now that addresses the "managerese" way of selling, a good
> model for what's needed in FreeBSD is the new Postgres
> advocacy website. Not only does it make the case
> (backed up with case studies), it also has all the right
> lingo. (Total Cost of Ownership, administration costs,
> deployment, etc.)
>=20
> FreeBSD could really use something like this, so in cases
> this exact same scenario comes up (which it WILL), we can
> just point our managers to the page and not have to write
> up something over and over again:
>=20
> http://advocacy.postgresql.org/

I agree with this.  They also have it linked on their mirror sites:

http://www.us.postgresql.org/

"In more than just English, the PostgreSQL Advocacy and Marketing site
has been launched.  Through this site the general public who aren't
aware of the benefits and power of PostgreSQL can learn about the
benefits and advantages it offers and more."

It would be great to see the launch of http://advocacy.freebsd.org/

Joe

>=20
SD,=20
> > with an identical look-and-feel to the other workstations (mwm, develop=
ment=20
> > scripts, etc), and created a step-by-step guide to installation and=20
> > configuration.
> >=20
> > The sole purpose of these workstations is to connect to our embedded pr=
oducts=20
> > via cu.
> >=20
> > We are all set to go to roll out FreeBSD to the other lab workstations.=
 But=20
> > some Linux advocate in the company is starting to raise a stink (even t=
hough=20
> > he is unwilling to help in the conversion and subsequent maintenance). =
Now=20
> > the manager in charge of the machines wants a report on why FreeBSD was=
=20
> > chosen instead of Linux. Sigh.
> >=20
> > So what good reasons translated into Manager-ese can I present?
> >=20
> > Thanks,
> >=20
> > David Johnson
> >=20
> > with "unsubscribe freebsd-advocacy" in the body of the message
> >=20
> >=20
>=20
> --=20
--=20
Support your local Search and Rescue unit -- get lost.

--=-aVOjYBn4g+AQx6w3/Zyc

--=-aVOjYBn4g+AQx6w3/Zyc--