Date:      Wed, 11 Oct 2000 00:08:13 -0500
From:      "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <jeff-ml@mountin.net>
To:        Nader Turki <nturki@adelphia.net>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make world

At 10:36 PM 10/10/00 -0400, Nader Turki wrote:
>OK guys, I understand all that, but the thing is. I already did "make
>world" and
>got disconnected and i did telnet to the box again and did "make world" again!
>So, Is that going to be a problem?

Possibly.

Strongly suggest you start over and don't use 'make world' again.  It is
not guaranteed to work properly and should you encounter any problems will
be most likely be told to start over doing things the supported way.

Looking at various files in the source tree I see way too much mention of
'make world' and there is one little mention in UPDATING:

     To rebuild everything
     make world

     Except when it doesn't work :-)

Not much of an implied warning.

That starts at line 139.  Around line 192 is what you want to follow.  Not
sure why the order is such, but think imp only listens to diffs.  Think
I'll look over things a bit and get back to that.

Jeff Mountin - jeff@mountin.net
Systems/Network Administrator
FreeBSD - the power to serve