Date:      Fri, 17 Jan 1997 18:07:00 -0300
From:      Ricardo AG <ricardag@ag.com.br>
To:        John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
Cc:        Ade Barkah <mbarkah@hemi.com>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, freebsd-www@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Test CGI interface... (was: Re: cvs commit: www/data comm...)

John Fieber wrote:

> > a. I chose Postgres, but mSQL is likely sufficient. Regardless, this
>
> For this application, I'd strongly put in a plug for mSQL, or
> even a perl script that chews up a one-record-per-line flat file.

I agree tottaly with you. Please, wait until Mon, Jan 20. I'm working
had on this, with a C script and a plain text file.

> Now for the bad news: This scheme presents some problems for
> mirroring.  Unless the system can be easily duplicated (not
> likely considering many mirrors won't even run cgi scripts), it
> will be yet another portion of the web pages that people have to
> trek all the way back to freefall to get, which is something to
> be avoided whenever possible.  Heck, I am at a well connected
> site in Indiana and have a hard time getting through sometimes!

I think that I can turn the CGI script into a HTML-generator automata,
that create the pages every time the database changes, even to remove
the old "new" flagged entries (I believe that the "new" flag must remain
for one month, not more)

> This does not necessairly mean ditching the database idea.
> Rather, it means generating static copies of the pages during
> daily regeneration process.  Of course, could still a problem for
> people who want to mirror the web source and generate their live
> pages locally.

Oops! You had stolen the words from my mouth!! :)

Best regards,

Ricardo