Date:      Mon, 10 Feb 2003 22:37:20 -0800
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@soco.agilent.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Another EPIA M 9000 update (was Re: More compartive power/performance results (was Re: Lower power SMP boxes?))

Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com> wrote:

>       EPIA M 9000             17-25W
>       EPIA M E6000            16-22W
>       EPIA 800                11-20W
>       EPIA 5000               9-15W   (5W idle, 15W playing DVD)
>
>     (this is non-inclusive of any hard drives)

     That's not bad (taking into account the lack of hard drives).

     For comparison purposes, here are a couple of random data points:

[ NOTE: the following *includes* power consumption by hard drives, etc.,
  but no monitor.  ]

System #1:      ~70W
        333MHz Celeron (66MHz FSB), 384MB RAM, Abit BH6 motherboard
        Some generic ATI Rage-based video card
        10GB IBM drive (might be 60GXP -- I've forgotten)
        Two Maxtor DiamondMax 7200RPM 120GB drives
        Promise Ultra100 TX2
        Intel Pro 100/S LAN
        Some generic DVDROM drive, floppy
        No extra cooling fans (yet?)

System #2:      ~170W (~200W+ with 100% CPU & 3D rendering)
        Athlon 2100XP, 768MB PC2100 RAM (slow ;-(), Asus a7v8x motherboard
        Nvidia GeForce4 Ti200 video card, w/128MB
        LeadTek WinFast TV2000XP TV card
        60GB IBM drive (60GXP, I think)
        40GB Maxtor DiamondMax drive
        Plextor 12/10/32 CDRW
        Pioneer DVDROM, floppy
        Intel Pro 100/S LAN
        One extra cooling fan (in addition to the two in the power
        supply).

Power was measured using an actual wattmeter, and not via an ampmeter
(although, as modern PC power supplies supposed are now supposed to be
power-factor-corrected, an ampmeter can give good results).

--
        Darryl Okahata
        darrylo@soco.agilent.com