Date:      Wed, 28 Jun 1995 16:50:55 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Michael C. Newell" <mnewell@lupine.nsi.nasa.gov>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   pppd eating CPU time

I have a 486SX-40 8Mb memory running FreeBSD 2.0.5R with two 16550 UART
serial ports and one WD8013 plus one WD8003 Ethernet card.  This machine
is acting as a PPP server and a router.  There is nothing connected to
the WD8013 card at present; eventually it will form a test network (it is
currently configured "down").  This machine is exclusively a router; we
don't run apps on it, and it doesn't have keyboard or monitor (i.e. no X :-).

When I connect to it from another host (we're using both SunOS 4.1.3 and
FreeBSD 1.1.5.1 as PPP clients) everything looks normal.  However, as
soon as we ping an interface to verify that it is up the corresponding
ppp daemon starts using up all available CPU time.  If we have two ppp
daemons running, they split the time between them.  Everything works
correctly (albiet commands issued on the server run REAL slowly), but
there's 0% idle time.  This occurs wether or not there's data crossing
the link.

I've enabled debugging but no oddnesses are logged in the messages file.
Before I start worrying the problem, I thought I'd check to see if anyone
else has seen this (I didn't notice any messages coming through on the
-hacker's list, but it's a pretty active list so I may have missed
something; if so, I'd appreciate a reference... :-)

Thanks,

Mike

|Mike Newell                           | The opinions expressed herein are  |
|NASA Science Internet Network Systems | my own, and do not necessarily     |
|Sterling Software, Inc.               | reflect those of the NSI program,  |
|MNewell@nsipo.nasa.gov                | Sterling Software, NASA, or anyone |
|+1-202-434-8954                       | else.                              |
|                  work: http://www.eco.nsi.nasa.gov/~mnewell               |
|                    home: http://www.newell.arlington.va.us                |