Date:      Tue, 27 Feb 1996 20:33:10 -0800
From:      Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
To:        Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>, "'Narvi'" <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
Cc:        "'Christoph Kukulies'" <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>, "'invalid opcode'" <coredump@nervosa.com>, "'hackers@FreeBSD.ORG'" <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Win32 (was:Re: Go SCSI! Big improvement...)

>I don't know - and it's overly too late for me on the moment to try to
>look up something for sure. Yes, I know about the DPS extension to the X
>- actually, for quite some time already. And I don't believe in magic
>hardware, no matter what it is claimed to do. But I'm pretty sure about
>DPS accelerators - it's something I have seen for sure. Not convinced?

>I know I cannot prove it on the moment but just give a thought to it - no
>magic hardware is needed (CPU + RAM) much more easier to implement than
>most of real high grade graphics hardware flying around...

Well any decent video card is going to have:  hardware cursor, bit
blitting, and line drawing.  The better ones are going to have scaling,
polygon drawing, maybe rotation.  The best (3-D accelerators) may have 3-D
polygon drawing, Phong shading, and the like.  I'm sure that you could
accelerate DPS by fully utilitizing the bit blitting facility (caching
fonts in extra Video RAM) possibly scaling and/or rotating them, or even
drawing fonts as vector polygons.  The point is that I don't think there is
any video card that you can feed raw Postscript to, and have it interpret
the commands, as you seemed to imply originally.

---Jake