Date:      Thu, 18 Jun 1998 15:47:42 -0400
From:      Malartre <malartre@aei.ca>
To:        Sanjit Roy <stingroy@rocketmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mirror Sites with FTP Resume facility?

Sanjit Roy wrote:

> Hi!
>    Can anyone tell me if any of the mirror sites supports 'resuming'.
> I'm trying to download FreeBSD 2.2.6 and I'm having trouble
> downloading huge files(ports.tgz - 9MB , it's huge compared to my net
> speed).
>
> Regards.
> Sanjit.

I suggest you to not install ports on your computer because they go out
of time really fast... Well, its so much easy to browse them by ftp or
by lynx.

To get a specific port by ftp, log on ftp.cdrom.com
<screenshot1>
$ ftp ftp.cdrom.com
> user=ftp
> password=anything@anything
> cd pub/FreeBSD/ports/
> ls
net
> cd net
> ls
ircII
>get ircII.tar
</screenshot1>
notes:
The file "ircII.tar" doesnt really exist
ircII was a directory
but when I say "get ircII.tar", I get ALL the directory
<screenshot2>
$ pwd
/usr/home/malartre
$ ls
ircII.tar
$ tar -xvf ircII.tar
$ ls
ircII
ircII.tar
$ cd ircII
$ make
$ make install
$ make clean
$ cd ..
$ rm -r ircII
$ mv ircII.tar /usr/ports/ (to archive them)

Easy no? ;-)
Malartre