Date:      Thu, 1 Nov 2001 22:34:20 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Nils Holland" <nils@tisys.org>, "Brett Glass" <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        "Paul Robinson" <paul@akita.co.uk>, "Andrew C. Hornback" <achornback@worldnet.att.net>, <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>, <advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: NatWest? no thanks

I really don't think we have to worry about this happening.  There is a
curve in operation, you see.

The X axis is number of installs.  The y axis is support demands on developer
time.  As X grows the curve ramps up very rapidy.  Once you hit 50% of market
share the support demands on time have consumed 100% of developers time and
all development on the software ceases because everyone who is the least bit
knowledgeable is too busy answering questions from people that don't know
anything.

Commercial software packages (like Windows) are able to handle this several
ways.  First they simply allow lots of bugs in the product.  Second they
keep removing knobs, switches and other settings mechanism to dumb down
the software so that there's less support calls.  Last, because they
charge money for support, this pushes a lot of the bonehead questions off
since now people have to pay for not reading the instructions.  As the
installed
base expands they simply raise the prices for bonehead support (note that
Microsoft has long had a policy of NOT charging for support issues that are
related to bugs in Windows, those support questions comprise less than 1% of
the questions posed to their tech support) until equilibrim is reached again.

With free software, because the number of knobs and switches available to
be selected, I don't believe that it would be possible to support more than
50% of the market because every setting opportunity increases the number of
potential support calls.  Look at DNS - under Microsoft it's a simple GUI that
has few selections available and doesen't let the user do much.  Under UNIX
it's a config file that can be written in shorthand, longhand, or a mix and
you can imagine that a typical dumb user support call on a DNS zone file
problem would probably chew up 5 times the amount of support time for UNIX
as the platform vs NT.  That's a huge phone bank staffed with people that
need to feed themselves and free software doesen't have the revenue stream
to support an entire industry of people that do nothing other than read the
instructions to morons who pick up the phone and call instead of cracking
the instruction manual.

Look at cow manure to see what I mean.  You would think that of all the
things that morons would NOT make phone calls about, manure would be
at the top of the list.  But the companies that sell it have entire webpages
devoted to application instructions and everything else about crap.  Now,
if the unwashed masses cannot even be trusted to figure out how to spread
cow shit around their gardens without hand-holding, how do you expect to
get them going with FreeBSD?!?!