Date:      Thu, 24 Nov 2005 13:59:51 +0100
From:      Ulrich Spoerlein <q@galgenberg.net>
To:        Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org, Robert Huff <roberthuff@rcn.com>
Subject:   Re: warning

--//IivP0gvsAy3Can

Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> Robert Huff <roberthuff@rcn.com> wrote:
> >	While upgrading x11/toolkits/linux-gtk2, I get this:
> >
> >GLib-WARNING **: getpwuid_r(): failed due to unknown user id (0)
> >
> >	Nothing seems to be broken, but I'd like to confirm this isn't
> >the harbinger for some more obscure but equally damaging problem.
> >(And, of course, learn how to make it go away if possible.)
>=20
> I've seen this too at the time I created the update for the port. So far =
I've
> seen no problem so far. It's just a warning, not an error (according to t=
he
> message you quoted here). I assume GTK is able to differentiate between a
> warning and an error.
>=20
> I have some ideas what may be the cause (it may involve LINUXBASE/etc/pas=
swd
> and related files), but so far I hadn't time to investigate this closer a=
nd
> maybe quiet the warning somehow.

I get a similar error when running acroread7. My UID is 1000 and is not
in /etc/passwd, but comes from NIS. Sadly, acroread7 bails out, if it
can't resolve the UID.

The fix is, to tell /compat/linux/etc/nsswitch.conf to look at NIS too.
It's a minor inconvenience, that nsswitch.conf gets clobbered every time
linux_base is reinstalled (and thereby breaking acroread7 for me).

Robert: Is UID 0 in your /etc/passwd? Can you try changeing
/compat/linux/etc/nsswitch.conf to something like this:

passwd:     files nisplus nis
shadow:     files nisplus nis
group:      files nisplus nis

Ulrich Spoerlein
--=20
 PGP Key ID: F0DB9F44				Encrypted mail welcome!
Fingerprint: F1CE D062 0CA9 ADE3 349B  2FE8 980A C6B5 F0DB 9F44
Ok, which part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn."
didn't you understand?

--//IivP0gvsAy3Can

--//IivP0gvsAy3Can--