Date:      Thu, 1 Jun 1995 17:38:06 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu
Subject:   Re: Problem with 2.0.5-Alpha and SMC Elite Ultra

>> Yes; when the kernel is configured for the board to be at a specific irq,
>> the board must be at that irq or you'll get the timeouts. The previous
>> behavior was to always assume that the soft-configed irq that was read from
>> the board was the irq to use. This caused the driver to be quite broken for
>> people using the "hard" settings. You can have the old behavior if you specify
>> "irq ?" in the config file or 0 or -1 in userconfig (-c at bootup).

>Wait a minute, how come the change?  I would expect that the vast vast majority
>of cards out there are using soft settings, why not make the hard-settings
>folks have to go into -c and leave it for soft settings as the normal case
>(Which is the more common case afterall!)

Because the old behaviour was a bug.  Configuring the irq to anything other
than "?" (-1 in userconfig) says that you really want that irq no matter
what the soft settings say.  You get soft settings for the normal case by
saying what you mean ("irq ?") in the configuration.

Most of the isa scsi drivers break this rule and silently blow away the
configured irq and other parameters.

Bruce