Date:      Thu, 29 Feb 1996 11:46:02 -0700
From:      Tony Jones <tony@rtd.com>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: your mail

In article <9602290840.AA26034@nob> you wrote:
: > This is from /usr/src/linux/Documentation/CodingStyle, it's Linus' own
: > personal coding style. Am I the only one here who finds this, ultimate
: >
: > -- CUT HERE -----------------------------------------------------------------
: >
: > 		Linux kernel coding style
: >
: > First off, I'd suggest printing out a copy of the GNU coding standards,
: > and NOT read it.  Burn them, it's a great symbolic gesture.
: >

: Then I'd suggest to all -- print out a copy of the
:  _Linux_kernel_coding_style_, and NOT readit.  Burn them, it's a great
: symbolic gesture.

Well ...

1) it's only advisory (or at least purports to be :-)
2) as C coding standards go, it's about the tamest/least offensive I've seen.

Having worked on several team development projects where C coding standards
have come up, or seen others groups debating them, I've grown used to
seeing whole chunks of the language declared 'out of bounds'.

IMHO code not conforming to the K&R standards for brace ({}) placement
should be rejected by the compiler :-)

tony