Date:      Wed, 26 Apr 2000 10:41:36 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
To:        "Jeroen C. van Gelderen" <jeroen@vangelderen.org>
Cc:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How about building modules along with the kernel? (was: cvs commit:  src/sys/modules/syscons/fire fire_saver.c src/sys/modules/syscons/rain  rain_saver.c src/sys/modules/syscons/warp warp_saver.c)

On Wed, 26 Apr 2000, Jeroen C. van Gelderen wrote:

> Correct me if I'm wrong but I have the feeling that architectural
> discussions are off-topic on -commits and perfectly on-topic on
> -arch. I have to admit that I seem unable to find a list charter
> for -commits but it seems unlikely that it would be the same as
> the charter for -arch.

I feel very uncomfortable with the idea that serious architectural
discussions would occur only on -committers, which is a closed mailing
list.  Not everyone who has a stake in the FreeBSD kernel environment is a
committer, and there's no reason they should have to be.  Also, there are
many people who are neither developers nor committers yet have much to
contribute in terms of requirements and implementation experience on other
platforms.  I don't think it's a problem right now, but let's keep real
discussions on public lists, where everyone can benefit from them, and
where we can benefit from open discussion.

  Robert N M Watson