Date:      Wed, 14 Aug 1996 08:45:02 -0700
From:      "M.R.Murphy" <mrm@Mole.ORG>
To:        nate@mt.sri.com
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sio issues (silo overflows on a pentium, locked in ttywait, etc...)

> the hard disk.  (Basically it's the same hardware on both boxes, 486/66
> with 16MB, although my box has an Adaptec 1542B and the server box is
> IDE).

The 1542B is showing up in these reports enough to notice. Hmmm. How much
of the bus is it taking? Shouldn't be enough to interfere with sio, I'd
think, though. Hmmm.

I'm still having problems with

  sio1: 182 more interrupt-level buffer overflows (total 883)

Each one causes an Ierr visible with netstat -ai. The system
recovers and keeps going, so I can't complain (too much :-).

The system is a 2.1R 16MB 486DX2/50 with 16550 _clones_ on a cheap IDE,
a 1542B, and I've added

options         "TTYHOG=4096"           # to fix buffer overflows in sio.c
options         "RS_IBUF_SIZE=1024"     # to fix buffer overflows in sio.c

to the config and made sio.c pay attention to the options. The
serial port used for kernel PPP is cuaa1, since it has a 25-pin
connector, and its locked at 57600 with a 28.8K modem. The serial
ports on the clone 16550 won't do 115200.  They just lock up.

This machine is still running FTL 14. I don't get any silo overflows.

Adding those options really cut down on the interrupt-buffer overflows.
Looks like about 10-15% of what I was getting before. Still there, though.

More information for those who might have a better grasp of what's going on...

bde?

--
Mike Murphy  mrm@Mole.ORG  +1 619 598 5874
Better is the enemy of Good