Date:      Fri, 17 Sep 1999 23:12:41 -0700
From:      Eric Lee Green <elgreen@iname.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Mysterious spontaneous reboot problem between 3_2_RELEASE and 3_3_RELEASE

At some point in time between the two, my FreeBSD 3.x developed spontaneous
reboot problems. I've verified this on two different machines.

Symptom:
  I start a tape backup. Perhaps twenty minutes later, the machine
spontaneously reboots -- screen freezes over, then goes black, then comes up to
the BIOS boot screen.

There are two different machines involved:

 Machine A: AMD K6-3/333,  some cheapo motherboard (never bothered looking
at it), 128mb of RAM, S3 video card, Advansys ISA SCSI card, Seagate NS-20 tape
drive hooked to the SCSI, 6.4gb IDE hard drive.  Via-Rhine (vr0) network card.
ES1371 sound card.

Machine B: Celeron 300, ASUS motherboard, 128mb of RAM, ATI video card, Diamond
Fireport 40 SCSI card, Seagate TR-4 tape drive hooked to the SCSI, 8.0gb IDE
hard drive, 8.0gb in assorted older SCSI hard drives (scraped the bottom of the
barrel there).  Digital "Tulip" network card (de0), RealTek-based Hawking
network card (rl0) (I also use it to route between two networks).  Soundblaster
Awe-64 ISA sound card. Voodoo2 3d accelerator.

I know that four weeks ago I could make a tape backup successfully on both
machines. Something has changed between then and now, and I'm stumped as to
what. There's no panic message, no error messages appear on the screen, I even
did it from a console instead of my typical "X" windows and no kernel messages
appeared... it just bombed. Went black, went to BIOS bootup screen, and voila.

This happened first to me with BRU (I work for the BRU guys, duh), but thinking
it was something to do with BRU (BRU *does* kind of exercise every bug an
operating system can have in its filesystem code, there's a very obscure bug BRU
found in the way directories are read off of Linux partitions under FreeBSD
that I'm trying to track down at the moment), I tried 'tar'. The machine still
spontaneously rebooted. I happened to be looking at the screen at the time, and
the machine was backing up /usr/local/src/caldera/col23.iso (the ISO image for
Caldera Linux 2.3, I was getting ready to install it on top of my defunct Linux
partition and wanted a backup first).

The only really interesting thing about my setup is that it's a dual boot with
Linux on both of these machines, and I *am* backing up the Linux partitions
too. But I haven't booted Linux for quite some time (probably been over a
month, I only do it when new distributions come out so I can test against them),
and I always mount the Linux filesystems "ro" (read-only), so that shouldn't be
a problem... Linux filesystems can't degrade if they're not being used (grin).

The other interesting thing is that these machines *NEVER* spontaneously reboot
on me in everyday use. Never. Both machines have been up and going for quite
some time, and until this problem, there wasn't one. And we're talking about
machines that get USED. They're compiling all day, and if they're not
compiling, they're doing something else strenuous like doing
analysis of millions of pseudo-random numbers to verify the strength of a
random number generator.

So what should I do next? Should the latest 3_3 fix this? I'll try (says he,
dubiously), 'make world' is going as we speak, but this is rather disturbing
(reminds me of why I dumped Linux -- bloody Linux 2.2 kernel had more bugs
than a roach motel, 2.2.10 leaked memory like a demon, and  2.2.12 still has
one of the world's buggiest NFS implementations).

 --
Eric Lee Green    http://members.tripod.com/e_l_green
  mail: e_l_green@hotmail.com