Date:      Mon, 5 Aug 1996 21:29:10 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Multisession CDROM supported ?

"Amancio Hasty Jr." <hasty@star-gate.com> wrote:

> J Wunsch wrote:
> >
> > I'm also thinking about supporting CD-DA (since i need to analyze the
> > TOC anyway), but that's a little more complicated since there's no
> > commonly agreed standard between the drive vendors.
>
> And there are a couple of people on the multimedia mailing list
> which have written code to handle CD-DA, CDI and VideoCD .
> For instance, currently, I can record CD-DA from a plextor or
> a toshiba cdrom. Or play CDI or VideoCD from my Plextor cdrom.
>
> Try posting on the multimedia@freebsd.org to see if we can
> package up everything that we have so far .

Ah, ok, yes, i'm interested!

Disclaimer: i intend to integrate this seamlessly into the kernel CD
driver, hence i don't need any `complete package' (i've already seen
and analyzed a few of them).  What i'm interested in is:

. how to enable CD-DA reading on the various drives (i do know already
  about SCSI cmd 0xd8, and about the density code 0x82 in the mode
  parameter buffer header, but i don't have an exhaustive list of
  which vendor supports what, or whether there are more conceptually
  incompatible solutions), and

. useful hints, like those in Charles Henrichs' package; though i
  think fine-tuning will have to wait until the driver framework is
  established (i don't think the first version will be optimal, and
  i do not hesitate throwing away some code after a certain learning
  process).

I wouldn't mind leaving hooks for things like CD-I or Video CD, but
they aren't the primary goal either.

(Posted & mailed.  Please reply to the multimedia mailing list, and
send me a Cc.)

--
cheers, J"org