Date:      Wed, 7 Jan 1998 11:58:33 -0500
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Splash screen (splashkit) for 3.0 systems...

Mike Smith:
 |This appears to have been lost in the christmastime mail mangle...
 |
 |Some people may remember the 'splashkit' I did for 2.2 systems early
 |last year.  After not a little tinkering, I've adapted this for 3.0.

I remember trying this last May.  Pretty cool.

 |8) I'm looking for:
 |
 | - Testers.  Naturally, I need people to find my bugs. 8)

Would be happy to give it a whirl.  (Hopefully the 971208 SNAP is sufficient.)

I also would second supporting the 320x400x8 color cycling BMPs that there
are tons of pre-built for MSW95 (in a future version perhaps).  Color
cycling's good for letting newbie users know the machine's not locked up.

I'm also interested in seeing if a few things I found in the 2.2 version
were/will be addressed.  E.g.:

   - Splash should auto-dismiss itself when booting gets to the syscons
     login prompt (i.e. not running xdm)

   - If I started X with the splash on, X works OK, but bringing down X
     yields a corrupted screen (guess it doesn't kick-in a redraw when
     switching out of syscons mode)

Randall