Date:      Wed, 15 Apr 1998 09:22:13 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        KapuT <malartre@aei.ca>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What do newbies want?

Ah, KapuT, I thought you'd disappeared!

On Tue, Apr 14, 1998 at 06:54:01PM -0400, KapuT wrote:
> Sue Blake wrote:
>
> > What would make things easier and more pleasant for people who try FreeBSD
> > for the first time? Is there something you wished for when you started but
> > couldn't find? What did you find that you really liked? Are there problems
> > that only newbies have, that could be addressed somehow? If you had a magic
> > wand, what would you like to see added, removed, or improved?
> >

> The introduction to unix: from Win95 to Unix

I think that's pretty common :-)
What exactly would help here? Another tutorial like the one you saw? Books?
Any more ideas about how you would like to learn unix?

> > We did discuss this a bit before but I think it's worth exploring it in more
> > depth, now that there's a lot of talk about promoting FreeBSD. It's one
> > thing to attract people to FreeBSD, but what else could we be offering them
> > once they arrive?
> >

> A real explanation!

Huh? A real explanation of what?

> > Newbies are the experts here, so first see how many ideas you can come up
> > with. Even if they are impossible ideas they could inspire someone else to
> > think of something, so don't hold back. Later on we can pick out the
> > important ones and look at how to implement them, but let's just get the
> > ideas flowing first.

> Hey, any hacker (in the good sense of the word... not cracker) read this
> mailling-lost? sorry, mailling-list :-)
>
> Malartre
> I need help

You need help from a hacker to work out what you want for newbies? :-)

What do you need help with? Do you think other newbies need that help and
can't find it, or what?

More details please :-)

--

Regards,