Date:      Tue, 6 Jan 1998 11:40:38 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Capriotti <capriotti@geocities.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X based Free installation

On Tue, 6 Jan 1998, Capriotti wrote:

> Hey, folks.
>
> Is there any plan to make a X based installation for FreeBSD ?
>
> I've been thinking: It could make things easyer for those ppl - like me -
> who have in-depth WINDOS background.

> I was VERY frustrated when I first tryed to install Free (Back to 2.1
> version) and I just couldn't, because it wouldn't recognize my IDE CD-ROM
> drive, and there was no clue why... then, when I was able to get the CD
> working (long time and several attempts latter), I got very confused about
> those new and hermetic concepts, info and language. And I was not exactly a
> rookie.

  How would a graphically install help?  I don't think it would in the
examples you've given.  If the CDROM can't be accessed, why would a
graphical install indicate why, and a non-graphical install not?  Why
would concepts (info and language) displayed in a graphical dialog box be
lessing confusing if those concepts where displayed in a non-graphical
one?

  Don't get stuck in the trap that GUI is better, because.  If the
language is not understandable, it will not become understandable in a
GUI.

> Today's instasllation (2.2.1) is a bit better, more user friendly, but I

  Todays installation?  2.2.1 is ancient.  Two releases have been made
since.

Tom