Date:      Wed, 28 Feb 1996 00:03:35 -0800
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        "Amancio Hasty Jr." <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, Stephen Hocking <sysseh@devetir.qld.gov.au>, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Quake's out, where's that Linux ELF emulation?

> > > Gosh,
> > >
> > > Can we send out 2000 mail messages to iD??
> >
> > Ack, no, please don't!  Look, seriously, I've talked to the
> > _developers_ of this friggin' software and they've made it more than
> > abundantly plain to me, on multiple occasions, that they are NEVER,
> > EVER, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES going to do a port to FreeBSD and the
> > matter is not even open to discussion.  The only reason we see a "free
> > UNIX" port of IDs stuff at all is because they happen to be unabashed
> > Linux fanatics there, and they have zero, zip nada interest in a
> > FreeBSD port.
> >
> > If you want Dave Taylor to publically state same in this mailing list
>
>Fine , arrange it . I like to go "down" fighting not standing down.
>If they don't make port for FreeBSD can you remove the stuff from
>the ftp.cdrom.com site. This is my thinking they are so in love with
>linux yet they have not been able to provide an adequate linux ftp
>site. It seems to me that they have dollars and can buy the expertise
>to provide adequate ftp services be that linux or some other platform.

   No, that would be *extremely* childish and bad business to boot. Besides,
we gain a tremendous amount by dishing out our FreeBSD propaganda when they
(the dos/linux people) access the archive. wcarchive didn't grow to be
the biggest and busiest FTP archive in the world by strong-arming people
into a One True Way of thinking.
   You can put me on record as saying that I think it's very bad policy to
sink to the levels of the Linux fanatics.

-DG

David Greenman