Date:      Sat, 3 Jul 1999 14:40:25 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jim Bryant <jbryant@argus.tfs.net>
To:        ben@skunk.org (Ben Rosengart)
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fixing other people's code (was: world broken in vinum (PATCH))

In reply:
> On Sat, 3 Jul 1999, Greg Lehey wrote:
>
> > I personally think that, in such a case, you'd be justified to commit
> > it as a temporary measure.  Due to the difference in time zones, this
> > has hit people while I've been asleep.  That doesn't mean the commit
> > would stay, of course, but at least it would save people unnecessary
> > pain.  Note, of course, that I have now committed the correct file,
> > which I had forgotten last night.
> >
> > What do you others think?
>
> Was the fix that wasn't yours correct?  'Cause I'd rather have code that
> doesn't compile than code that compiles but is subtly wrong.

untested code shouldn't be checked in to begin with.  such are the
basics of version control.  mistakes happen in any project, but where
i come from CVS/RCS/etc is for tested and working code.

if i made such a mistake, i would be grateful for a temporary kludge
submitted by someone, assuming they know that it is subject to a
proper fix at any moment.

jim
--
All opinions expressed are mine, if you    |  "I will not be pushed, stamped,
think otherwise, then go jump into turbid  |  briefed, debriefed, indexed, or