Date:      Wed, 14 Aug 1996 10:38:43 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        "M.R.Murphy" <mrm@mole.org>
Cc:        nate@mt.sri.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sio issues (silo overflows on a pentium, locked in ttywait, etc...)

M. R. Murphy writes:
> > the hard disk.  (Basically it's the same hardware on both boxes, 486/66
> > with 16MB, although my box has an Adaptec 1542B and the server box is
> > IDE).
>
> The 1542B is showing up in these reports enough to notice. Hmmm. How much
> of the bus is it taking? Shouldn't be enough to interfere with sio, I'd
> think, though. Hmmm.
>
> I'm still having problems with
>
>   sio1: 182 more interrupt-level buffer overflows (total 883)

Hmm, those are different from mine.  Mine are obviously a FIFO overflow.

sio1: 1 more silo overflow (total 7)

They don't happen alot, but when I do a remote CVS and/or CVSup update
from my mirrored repository over the 28.8K link to a box at work they
tend to show up.

Again, I've got NS16550AFN parts on my box, which are the old but very
real good National parts, bought by my good buddy Jaye Mathisen at MSU a
*long* time ago.

> serial port used for kernel PPP is cuaa1, since it has a 25-pin
> connector, and its locked at 57600 with a 28.8K modem. The serial
> ports on the clone 16550 won't do 115200.  They just lock up.

:(

Nate