Date:      Tue, 16 Jul 1996 15:37:19 +0000
From:      "Ian Kallen" <ian@gamespot.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   increasing nfile setting?

I get errors that the file table is full when I have too many httpd
processes running -- I've also seen this error when the mail queue
grows excessively.  I'm aware that some UNIX flavors have
reconfiguration scripts for adjusting parameters such as nfiles -- I
guess I need to build a bigger kernel but I'm not sure where to look!
I'm using 2.1.0 off the CD (I'd like to migrate to 2.1.5 so I can get
past the damn sysconfig bug that is preventing me from adding another
disk but with the worries about support for the 3c509 I guess I'm
SOL).  Anyway, steps to be taken to tweak the nfiles parameter (at
least that's what I'm told I need to do) would be greatly
appreciated!

Thanks!
Ian Kallen                           ian@gamespot.com
     Director of Technology & Web Administration
            http://www.gamespot.com