Date:      Thu, 07 Feb 2002 17:04:49 +0100
From:      Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock@gmx.net>
To:        Nora Etukudo <nora@sappho-net.de>
Cc:        FreeBSD_Stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ftp_proxy and http_proxy don't work

Nora Etukudo wrote:
 > On Thu, Feb 07, 2002 at 03:44:28PM +0100, Paolo Pisati wrote:
 >

 >> My network is behind an http/ftp proxy server, that's why i set
 >> these 2 options in /etc/make.conf but it seems that the fetch
 >> program refuse to use it, any idea?
 >>

 > Did you try with 'http_proxy' setting only?
 >
 > I've a Squid-Proxy here and it works not, if I set 'ftp_proxy' too.
 > With 'http_proxy' only, the 'fetch' works for both 'ftp://'- and
 > 'http://'-urls.
 >
 > Don't ask me, why.

It is expected behaviour. If you want fetch to use a http-proxy (instead
of a _real_ ftp-proxy) for ftp-fetchting, you need to feed it a URL like
'http://proxyhost:3128' for ftp_proxy, if you just give it a
'proxyhost', it expects a ftp-proxy. Normally one doesn't need to
specify both http_proxy and ftp_proxy, since fetch defaults to use the
proxy given in http_proxy for http and ftp.

You could set ftp_proxy to something like 'http://proxyhost:3128' if you
wanted to proxy ftp-transfers only, or to do ftp-transfers via a
different http-proxy than http-transfers, though.

--
Michael Nottebrock