Date:      Thu, 18 Jun 1998 16:14:12 -0700
From:      Tim Gerchmez <fewtch@serv.net>
To:        Malartre <malartre@aei.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Major hardware reorganization...

At 03:33 PM 6/18/98 -0400, you wrote:

>Ok, when you boot with the GENERIC kernel, freebsd use a lot of time to
>find all hardware that does'nt exist and waste 15-20 second on a scsi
>timout or something like that.

If the system has no SCSI hardware at all, FreeBSD will detect this and
waste no further time.  However, probing for each hard drive on the ISA bus
can take some time (which can easily be eliminated by building a custom
kernel).

>When you remove all those scsi thing or
>than you customize it, it take *less* than my win95 to boot! Remember
>than win95 seems speedy because there is a beautiful win95.bmp presented
>to you ;-)

On a well-maintained (defragged) Win95 system, with minimal hardware to
check/detect/load drivers for at boot time, Win95 boots quite fast (if it
boots slowly on some systems, usually this can be remedied by changing
certain things).  But the fastest booting OS of all is plain old MS-DOS, we
all have to agree on that :-)  Then again, some argue MS-DOS isn't even an
OS, just a fancy program loader.  To some degree, I agree with this.  It
doesn't manage hardware at all, one of the basic requirements for an OS.
Without external programs like himem.sys and emm386.exe, MS-DOS only knows
what the BIOS knows, and no more, and can't even go beyond 640k.

P.S... why do I always forget to hit "reply to all" instead of just reply,
then I have to manually type freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org in the CC: box.
Got to get into the habit :-)

--
My web site starts at http://www.serv.net/~fewtch/index.html -
lots of goodies for everyone, have a look if you have the time.