Date:      Thu, 20 Aug 1998 15:55:18 +0000
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Jeremy Prior <jez@netcraft.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Notebook recommendations sought

> All,
>     I'm looking to buy a Notebook/Laptop computer specifically to
> run FreeBSD.  When mobile, this machine will be carted around client
> sites and run as a surrogate desktop machine.  When stationary,
> it'll just be a desktop machine.
>
> Therefore, my criteria are:
>
>   - Good Connectivity (ability to use various Ethernet technologies easily,
>     as I'll not know in advance what I'm going to need);

Buy an NE2000 combo PCCARD that handles multiple media automatically.
Eg. the Accton EN2216.

>   - Ability to drive an external screen at a good X resolution (1024x768x256
>     or better at >= 75Hz)
>   - Ability to attach external keyboard and mouse

Almost all will do this.

> Other details:
>   - Disk capacity is more important than processor speed (providing the
>     processor is Pentium MMX or better)

Buy a machine with the smallest disk you can, and take it out.  Buy one
of the 6GB or 8GB laptop disks as well.  I bought a 6GB Toshiba unit
for about US$500 including shipping. (www.cmpexpress.com)

Make sure you buy a memory upgrade too.

>   - I'd go for a `named' brand over `no-named'.

The Toshiba Satellite machines seem pretty rebust.  As a bonus, they're
sufficiently 'mainstream' that you can get third-party (read cheap)
memory upgrades.

> Basically, which machines (or just manufacturers) are best supported
> by FreeBSD?

More specifically, you want to look for machines within a
manufacturer's range that contain supported peripherals.  Eg. you might
want to favour one with a C&T video chipset over one with NeoMagic
hardware, and one with selectable PCCARD/CardBUS slots over one that
only supports CardBUS.