Date:      Wed, 7 Jan 1998 11:17:49 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        "Gary B. Clark II" <gclarkii@main.brewich.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Motif question

> > > The jdk115 port uses lesstif-0.81.
> >
> > *yuck*
> That is why I'm still using jdk1.1.2...
> It is linked aginst(sic) lesstif vice linking motif and supplying lesstif...

????  I couldn't parse the above sentence...

> > The AOL software, or the JDK in general?  We've have really good luck
> > with your last binary release, although lots of AWT stuff is broken, and
> > Swing components don't work at all.
>
> I'm running the 1.1.2 jdk here, downloaded the new swing just last night, ran
> the demo and it works like a charm.

I'm surprised, since Sun claims that you need at least V1.1.3 to run
Swing reliably.

> Nate,
>
> Why do you have so many problems with awt and all of my code works fine?

I don't have any problems with AWT other than due to bugs in the AWT.
But, I do have all sorts of problems due to bugs in Swing.  We use the
swing components in a *real* (ie, we get paid for doing this)
application that a couple hundred thousand lines of Java, which uses
both the AWT and the swingset components extensively.  These bugs exist
under Solaris and Win32, so it's not a FreeBSD issue.

> What version of Motif do you have there????

I have both V1.2 and V2.0 (both from Xinside), but neither of them work
reliably if I use them replace the LessTif shlib.  The former dies with
__Xcatgets or somesuch runtime link errors, and the latter just dies
randomly, usually as soon as I try to bring up any graphic component.

Nate