Date:      Tue, 11 Feb 2003 12:44:33 +0100
From:      Fabrizio Fresco <fabrizio.fresco@telecomitalia.it>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Another EPIA M 9000 update (was Re: More compartive  power/performanceresults (was Re: Lower power SMP boxes?))

The video chip is a Castle Rock with mpeg2 decoder.
The Linux driver of the epia-m is made of 2 piece, a kernel module and a
X module.
Both are only binary, and the installation is a pain because you can't
recompile the
kernel, you must use the original kernel.
For example you can't patch the kernel for the ata133 driver, so no dma
is used... otherwise you must modify kernel symbols by hand.....
BTW read this thread on the via forum, there are some news from via!
http://forums.viaarena.com/messageview.cfm?catid=28&threadid=31501
Hope this help.
bye

Joe O wrote:

> If the linux XFree86 4.x driver was correctly written you should be able
> to dump it into /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers and use it.
>
> One of the goals with XFree86 4.x was that the X server modules be OS
> independent.
>
> On Mon, 10 Feb 2003, Matthew Dillon wrote:
>
> > :I can't find any online specs to tell me if the graphics part of the
> > :Northbridge has understands the VESA stuff.  Does the XFree86 "vesa"
> > :driver work?
> > :
> > :Also found this forum discussion...
> > :
> > :http://forums.viaarena.com/messageview.cfm?catid=28&threadid=30617
> >
> >     M 9000 X11 update:
> >
> >     The "vga" driver works in low resolution modes.  The "vesa" driver
> >     does not work.  Via has a linux driver on their CD for X, called "via",
> >     which linux people seem to be using successfully, but I can't find
> >     sources anywhere.  I don't understand why these companies don't just
> >     include sources for their X drivers, it would make life so much easier.
> >
> >     I *think* the EPIA M 9000 is using a variant of the S3 Savage, but if
> >     so they have heavily modified the chip.  I have had no luck trying to
> >     override the chip spec in my X configuration.
> >
> >     --
> >
> >     Firewire update.  I can't seemlessly connect and disconnect firewire
> >     devices, but if I connect the firewire HD up *before* kldload'ing
> >     the drivers, it works.
> >
> >                                       -Matt
> >                                       Matthew Dillon
> >                                       <dillon@backplane.com>

Fabrizio Fresco

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
is prohibited. Please return it immediately to the sender and delete
the message. Should you have any questions, please contact us by
replying to webmaster@telecomitalia.it.
        Thank you
                                        www.telecomitalia.it