Date:      Sun, 08 Dec 1996 16:14:45 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@nexgen.HiWAAY.net>
To:        Michael Beckmann <petzi@apfel.de>
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Tyan Tomcat ? 256 MB RAM ? DIMMs ?

Michael Beckmann <petzi@apfel.de> writes:

> What do all you people do who want 256 MB RAM in their machines ? Do you
> use 64 MB PS/2 SIMMs ? These are a bit hard to get, and more expensive than
> the comparable number of 32 MB SIMMs. I also haven't found a source of 64
> MB EDO SIMMs at all, only FPM.

IMHO, especially when you are dealing with 256M of RAM, buy FPM w/ parity. The possible performance boost of EDO isn't worth the loss of error checking. If you'll take a bit of a performance hit the Tomcat I will do error correction on its memory.

Others have posted to the FreeBSD lists that it is very difficult to quantify a performance gain with EDO memory.

Possibly EDO memory with parity would be the best of all worlds, and also the hardest to find. Think Micron might actually offer EDO w/parity.

And while on the parity issue, make sure you buy "real parity" and not "logic parity" or "virtual parity." Some "genius" designed an asic to guess the 4 parity bits, and some vendors actually sell that junk.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net