Date:      Mon, 14 Apr 1997 19:53:52 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        paul@originat.demon.co.uk
Cc:        www@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Comments on new search page..

[trying to catch up here...]

On 14 Apr 1997, Paul Richards wrote:

> At work we have something like the following
>
> /tool/{bin,lib,src}

[...]

> /product/FreeBSD   (project root)
> 	        /build/
>                        bin
> 		       lib
> 	        /content/
> 	                 bin
> 		         lib
> 		         data
> 		         htdocs        ( these two are were the
> 		         cgi-bin       ( server points
> 	        /data

[...]

I think I've got a handle on how this works, and like it pretty
well.  I started a little inventory of things as they currently
are.  I'm sure I've left plenty of things out here, but it is a
start.  Thoughts and additions appreciated.

-john

**** WHAT WE CURRENTLY NEED TO BUILD

(port = ports collection)

What    	    Where we get it

TOOLS:
cvs     	    FreeBSD
BSD make	    FreeBSD
waisindex 	    port (tweaked)
sgmlfmt 	    FreeBSD
    sgmls	    FreeBSD or port
    instant 	    FreeBSD
    groff	    FreeBSD
perl    	    FreeBSD or port
sgmlnorm	    port
analog  	    port

DATA:
CVS tree	    freefall

**** WHAT WE CURRENTLY NEED TO RUN

What    	    Where we get it

TOOLS:
apache  	    port (tweaked)
perl    	    FreeBSD or port
waisq   	    port
cvs     	    FreeBSD
gnats   	    FreeBSD

DATA:
CVS tree	    freefall
mail archives       freefall
gnats   	    freefall

NOTES:

* Even though many of the tools are in FreeBSD, they must be of 2.2 or
current vintage.

* SP isn't currently in the ports collection, but I have a port
(ftp://fallout.campusview.indiana.edu/pub/sp)

* The data used in the build process comes from the CVS tree, but not
all the same place.  Some comes from src/share/doc, some from www and
some from ports.

* Waisq will soon be replaced by a perl5 module.

* Instant will have to get a new set of makefiles and some testing
before we can run on non (Free|Net|Open)BSD platforms.

**** SERVICES WE OFFER

(This list is more a reflection of what ought to be than what is.)

Service     	    	    Mirrors

"Static" HTML pages   	    all     	(including all /usr/share/doc?)
Searching static HTML	    all
"Utility" cgi scripts	    all
Mail archives	    	    freefall
CVSweb	    	    	    freefall + any willing
Man pages (searchable) 	    freefall + any willing
GNATS	    	    	    freefall
Ports	    	    	    freefall + any willing

NOTES:

* By "static" I mean generated (and indexed) as the build process.

* Ports are currently static, but that may change.  If we start
serving it out via http, that becomes a big pile of data to
mirror.