Date:      Wed, 22 May 1996 16:44:34 +0100
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sysctl parameters

Bruce Evans wrote in message ID
<199605171636.CAA29775@godzilla.zeta.org.au>:
> >You know, it would be good if someone (or a group) could document what
> >all the different sysctl parameters do. I'm particularly mystified by
> >what some of the net.* parameters do and would love an explanation
> >which doesn't involve trying to unravel several hundred K of source
> >code.

> Aren't they documented in sysctl.3 and/or sysctl.8?  These man pages
> are a bit out of date but still much better than ioctl.2.

Nope, not fully anyhow. Infact, only the most basic flags seem to be
documented, and the ``interesting'' ones which could actually improve
routing & TCP throughput seem to be missed out.

I think a mention in the handbook wouldn't go amiss either, esp. in
the relevant section (i.e. put net.* stuff in the networking chapter,
etc)

Gary