Date:      Sun, 28 Jun 1998 08:30:18 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tim Gerchmez <fewtch@serv.net>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD - I'm in love!

On 27-Jun-98 Nik Clayton wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 27, 1998 at 06:53:01AM -0700, Tim Gerchmez wrote:
>> some things I just can't do and software that's unavailable for
>> BSD as of yet (for example, listening to MP3 music files,
>
> x11amp. Probably at <URL:http://www.x11amp.org/>, but if not, the
> multimedia mailing list can probably point you at it.

Won't do me a bit of good without a supported soundcard.

>> and software like Adobe Photoshop,
>
> ports/graphics/gimp1. Oh yeah, prepare to be astounded by that one.

I'll have to give that one a try.

>> MS Word,
>
> ports/editors/staroffice (runs under Linix emulation, can be flaky. Then
> again, so is MS Word). Looks and runs like Word on steroids. Also includes
> a very nice Excel beater. Also available for Windows. Reads/writes Word
> format files.

I thought StarOffice was a beta version that was supposed to have expired
already (according to the 2.2.6 tarball, it is anyway, but there's a different
version at www.freebsd.org/ports, also available as a package). I
might give it a try, when I get in the mood to download a 25 meg file :/...

Thanks,

Tim

E-Mail: Tim Gerchmez <fewtch@serv.net>
Date: 28-Jun-98
Time: 08:25:52

This message was sent by XFMail under Fvwm2 and FREEBSD.
My personal website is at http://www.serv.net/~fewtch/index.html
Take a look if you have the time - something for everyone there.