Date:      Fri, 2 Nov 2001 06:53:23 -0800
From:      "Jeremiah Gowdy" <jeremiah@sherline.com>
To:        "Paul Robinson" <paul@akita.co.uk>, "Nils Holland" <nils@tisys.org>
Cc:        "David Johnson" <djohnson@acuson.com>, "Brett Glass" <brett@lariat.org>, <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>, <advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: NatWest? no thanks

> Where we then started swinging off-topic was as to whether we should just
> sit here on our thrones and shout "we're all great, you're not, drop MS
now
> and come and join us or you're lame"

You could have just said "linux" in place of this entire paragraph.

> Anyway, I'm shutting up now, as it's quite obvious that everybody thinks
I'm
> wrong for even daring to suggest that MS might actually have a reasonably
> good product in the form of their browser, and I'm obviously being a
heretic
> when I say that quite frankly, Mozilla and Konqueror don't match up.

I agree with you completely.  I've had _dreams_ of the day when I can
install IE 5 or 6 under BSD.  Maybe I'd actually stop thinking of
BSD-as-a-desktop as a joke.

FreeBSD makes a beautiful server, and I would use nothing else.  But as a
desktop, if we resist emulating Microsoft in any way, it's only our loss.
Microsoft didn't become the king of the desktop by introducing some radical
design.  They took the best crap out of the others and combined them to make
something people would use.  You can argue that it was all business tactics
and whatnot, but I remember the lines of people fighting over copies of
Windows 95 back in the day.  Emulate successful people to gain some market
share, and don't diverge from the mainstream until you have the market share
to back it up.  Like it or not, that's success.

I don't really care either way.  I want to see FreeBSD promoted as an
enterprise level server and be noticed by IBM, HP, and other enterprise
solution resellers.  Windows 2000 Professional is my desktop, and a fine
desktop it is.  Lets focus on our strengths.  All of the software you guys
are talking about is GNU/Linux stuff, and they obviously are working on
making it a desktop, even if their attempts and their attitudes are
sometimes laughable.  If they are successful and produce a set of packages
that make a worthy desktop to compete with Windows, poof, we have one too.