Date:      Tue, 16 Jul 1996 16:13:40 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        E00114@vnet.atea.be (Rob Schofield)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Printing probs. under a new 2.1 installation

> Installed in there is a parallel printer port designated LPT1: under DOS,
> registered and correctly configured under the EISA config scheme. Hanging on
> the end of the cable is a brand-spanking new HP LaserJet 5L (I know, it was
> all I could afford) with PCL (V6.0?). Under DOS, it prints OK, likewise Win
> 3.11 WFW. It also prints from Win NT with no probs.

As root, type:

# dmesg | grep lpt

I get output like:

lpt0 at 0x278-0x27f irq 7 on isa
lpt0: Interrupt-driven port

Indicating that, despite what DOS thinks, my port is /dev/lpt0.

You may have to boot -v; there may be a probe conflict message
from having other hardware (generally, things like sound cards) at
the same address, causing the parallel port to be unusable.  You
may need to rejumper one or more devices to make it work.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.