Date:      Tue, 17 May 2011 12:19:25 -0400
From:      Christopher Hilton <chris@vindaloo.com>
To:        Hans Petter Selasky <hselasky@c2i.net>
Cc:        Charles Sprickman <spork@bway.net>, freebsd-usb@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: usb serial port device naming

On May 17, 2011, at 5:18 AM, Hans Petter Selasky wrote:

> Hi,
>
> If you run 8-stable, there is some information you can lookup via sysctls of
> the USB devices, which tells you which port belongs to which device.
>
> Use the serial number to identify your device, if your device has such a
> value.
>
> usbconfig -d X.Y dump_device_desc

Are you suggesting that one could use this information to config devd and perhaps automatically create a link to the correct port at USB attach time? I ask because I anticipate having to deal with this situation in the future.

-- Chris

Chris Hilton                          e: chris /at/ vindaloo /dot/ com
                "All I was doing was trying to get home from work!"
                                                 -- Rosa Parks